The Mauritius Civil Service Mutual Aid Association Ltd. was established in 1893 by 175 Civil Servants in order to pool financial resources in a fund which would be used to grant loan facilities to members in need of financial assistance.
At that time, Mauritius was recovering slowly from the aftermath of a severe cyclone which struck in 1892 causing a lot of disaster on the Island. Moreover, loan facilities from banks were not readily available and Civil Servants were having recourse to unscrupulous money lenders for financial assistance.
On December 28, 1894, an ordinance (No.22 of 1894) constituting the Mauritius Civil Service Mutual Aid Association into an "anonymous society with limited liability" was passed in Council. It authorized the Receiver General to deduct monthly abatements from salary and pension of its members.
For more than half a century, the Association was housed in an old colonial building at La Chaussée Street, Port-Louis. In 1956, the Association acquired a one storey building at 5 Guy Rozemont Square, Port-Louis, adjacent to the Victoria Bus Station. In the 1990s a new dimension was given to the activities of the Association and the building could no more cater for the increasing membership and staff force.
In 1998, the Association invested considerable capital and effort in the realisation of a building project to house its headquarters. Its commitment to provide an excellent service is encapsulated in the construction of the Mutual Aid Building, a modern eight-storey office at Guy Rozemont Square. Members and staff are delighted to be in complete comfort with refined surroundings.